Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: About Dead Store in clang Analysis

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 17:04:44 -0700

On Mar 24, 2011, at 3:59 PM, John Sullivan wrote:

(Aside: my attitude to dead stores is that eliminating them is a job
for the compiler.

It is, and I think at least some (perhaps all) modern compilers will do that already.  However, a dead store could
either be "this is part of an idiom, and some of the stuff done in the idiom isn't always useful", or it could be
"somebody made a mistake" (typed the wrong variable name, deleted some code but forgot to delete other code that the
code removal rendered unnecessary, etc.), so getting dead-store warnings can be useful.