Wireshark mailing list archives

Difference between TCP Window size and data length

From: Roman Etebar <roman.etebar () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:01:26 -0400

Hello,

I am troubleshooting slow HTTP response in one our satellite linked remote
sites.

I noticed a lot of packets with TCP Window size of 420 byte; however, the
the data length field is set to 1460 which is maximum segment size.

I do not see a Fragmentation happening on these packets.

How can 1460 bytes of data be exchanged between the sender and receiver when
the TCP Window size is only 420 bytes?

Appreciate a response.

Regards,

Roman