Wireshark mailing list archives

MySQL connection saturation

From: Andrej van der Zee <andrejvanderzee () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 11:45:43 +0200

Hi,

I have a tcpdump file that contains MySQL packets that are sent between one
client and one MySQL server, captured on the client. Is there any
Wireshark-tool that can give me an estimation of the total time that the
client is engaged in either sending, waiting for the server to execute its
MySQL command and/or receiving the response? My intention is that if I
isolate one TCP stream, resembling one persistent connection from a pool,
and divide this total "engagement time" by the total TCP stream time, it
would give me at least an impression about the saturation of that particular
database connection. If all TCP streams show high values, this could then
mean that the connection pool size is too small. I could write my own tool
to calculate the engagement time, but do not want to re-invent the wheel and
loose too much time on this...

Thanks,
Andrej