Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Bad package created from 1.7.0

From: Davide Milanesio <d.milanesio () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 14:18:40 +0200

From: Helge Kruse <Helge.Kruse-nospam@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 09:29:47 +0200

Am 19.07.2011 14:23, schrieb Davide Milanesio:

  Hi all,

  I am trying to make a Wireshark Installer from the latest development
   release (1.7.0), according to Section 2.2.13 of Wireshark Developer's
   Guide.
  Compiling and testing on Win XP.

   Unfortunately, after the source is correctly compiled and also the
   installer is generated,
   if such installer is launched, after the installation process the new
   .exe files are not working
   (the message -translated from Italian- is: "Application not correctly
  initialised (0x0c150002)")

   Instead, following the same procedure from release 1.5.0 was successful.

   Any hint? ;-)

Looks at least at a typo with the code:

0x0c150002 = Sev_Success + Fac_0x0C15 + Code_0x0002
0xc0150002 = Sev_Error + Fac_0x0015 + Code_0x0002

0x0015 = 37 = FACILITY_DIRECTORYSERVICE
0x0002 =  2 = ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

The last recent problem I faced with this code was that the runtime was not available in the > correct version. Did
you test the installer on the development machine?

You can check, which versions of the runtime libraries are in the WinSxS directories and  which version your
executables (wireshark.exe, any load-time-DLL) requires. I have seen that a Windows update installed new versions of
the runtime in Visual Studio as a bugfix.

I am uncertain where the installer grabs the runtime libraries that must be installed on the target machine. Probably
this must be fixed.

Helge

Thanks, got it!!

The issue is in zlib1.dll.

In fact, on the development machine there are two different zlib1.dll,
both of them with version 1.2.5.0 but with different size:
- zlib1.dll under C:\wireshark\wireshark-gtk2 (same in
C:\wireshark-win32-libs\zlib125): 67,584 byte [btw, it is the same
zlib1.dll belonging to the Stable Release 1.6.1)
- zlib1.dll under C:\wireshark-win32-libs\gtk2\bin: 100,352 byte

The installer uses the first one (67,584 byte), but it is wrong.
Manually copying the second one (100,352 byte) on the target PC, it
works properly!

I agree that this should be fixed.
-- Davide