Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: my dissector breaks with updated 1.6 source and libs

From: oleksab () darkcornersoftware com
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 22:31:14 -0400 (EDT)

Chris

Thanks for the reply.

My dissector worked when I updated libs and sources from 1.2 to 1.4. So I
figured it would work from 1.4 to 1.6. But it did not.

I did get the latest libs and sources and I did recompile everything...but
I ended up with some errors (which I will need to dig through).

But I got this one error that I am not sure what it means. Wireshark
(version 1.6) did start up properly. I was able to load a .pcap capture
file....but when I click on one of the rows in the tree...I got the below
error. Any thoughts..??

The error was:

22:26:55   Err  new_fi->hfinfo->type 28 <FT_PCRE> not handled

Thanks,
Brian

Brian Oleksa <oleksab@...> writes:

I have updated to the latest sources today as well as the latest libs.
I put my dissector in place and it crashes. It ran just fine on 1.4.X

So you previously built a plugin dissector against 1.4.x and dropped it
into the
1.6.0 plugins directory expecting it to work?  This has never been
supported
because we have yet to lock down the API/ABI, but even if we did, there's
no
reason to expect a 1.4 plugin to work against 1.6.  I don't think we'd
ever go
so far as to guarantee binary compatibility across anything other than
micro
versions.  You will simply have to recompile your plugin against the 1.6
sources
if you intend to use it with 1.6.x.

What are the major changes...??

Read the release notes for the major changes.

WHY is this always a problem. Where can I get help with fixing my
problems..??

Why?  Because Wireshark continues to evolve.

Where can you get help?  -wireshark-devel, ask.wireshark.org,
README.developer,
the Wireshark source code, your colleagues, someone you pay for help, etc.
Basically, the usual places.