Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-commits] rev 35393: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trunk/epan/dissectors/: packet-catapult-dct2000.c

From: Anders Broman <a.broman () telia com>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 17:17:35 +0100

Martin Mathieson skrev 2011-01-06 17:03:
Thanks, I do believe that this is a special case - I wouldn't want to use tvb_get_ptr() anywhere else.

Regards,
Martin

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws <http://jeff.morriss.ws>@gmail.com <http://gmail.com>> wrote:

    Hi Martin,

    Yeah, the code looked safe, I've just been on a mission to reduce
    the usage of tvb_get_ptr() (which I'd love to put in the category
    of "do not use!"--the only problem there being that it's used all
    over the place).  It did occur to me later that it might be
    slower;  I'll revert the change in a bit.

    Regards,
    -Jeff

    Martin Mathieson wrote:

        Jeff,
        I made the change to use tvb_get_ptr() because a profile
        showed that getting the strings each time was quite slow.
        The reason I thought this is safe is that this protocol is
        really a header written out by the corresponding wiretap
        module, so it should be well-formed (if the file being read
        isn't well-formed that will be rejected by the wiretap module).

        I can't remember how much slower it was, but it gets done
        several times for each frame read from the file.

        Best regards,
        Martin

Could tvb_get_ephemeral_stringz() be made more efficient?
/Anders

        On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 2:18 AM, <morriss () wireshark org
        <mailto:morriss () wireshark org> <mailto:morriss () wireshark org
        <mailto:morriss () wireshark org>>> wrote:

        http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=35393
        <http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=35393>
        <http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=35393
        <http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=35393>>

           User: morriss
           Date: 2011/01/05 06:18 PM

           Log:
            Use tvb_get_ephemeral_stringz() instead of
        tvb_get_strsize() plus
           (sometimes multiple) calls to tvb_get_ptr().

           Directory: /trunk/epan/dissectors/
            Changes    Path                         Action
            +24 -30    packet-catapult-dct2000.c    Modified

                       mailto:wireshark-commits-request () wireshark org
        <mailto:wireshark-commits-request () wireshark org>
        <mailto:wireshark-commits-request () wireshark org
        <mailto:wireshark-commits-request () wireshark org>>?subject=unsubscribe