Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Newbie Questions for a Specific Problem

From: Stephen Fisher <steve () stephen-fisher com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:18:35 -0700

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 11:06:41AM -0700, Mark Phillips wrote:

3. I fired up wireshark on my work network and starting capturing
packets on eth0. I looked at the DHCP routing table in the router and
found the phone was assigned 192.168.25.203. I set a filter for that
address (ip == 192.168.25.203 or eth.addr == f8:db:7f:42:db:75), hit a
web page on the phone and no packets were captured, even though the
phone says it was connected to the wireless network. The page loaded
on the phone. Tried sending/receiving an email. I also tried hitting
the "enable wifi calling" button, and no packets. What am I doing
wrong?

Start by reading this page and some of the pages it links to:

  http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup