Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Splitting one packet into multiple packets

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 11:03:56 -0800

On Feb 24, 2011, at 12:31 AM, Roland Knall wrote:

I figured there are 2 ways of achieving this:

1. Use a DisplayFilter - but so far I have not found a solution using
this approach.

That's because no such solution exists.  All a display filter does is limit the frames that get displayed; it does not
affect the way that they're displayed - in particular, it will not cause a single frame to be displayed as multiple
items in the packet list.

2. Use some sort of CaptureFilter - which would require messing around
with libpcap/winpcap . The solution must be cross-platform.

All a capture filter does is limit the frames that get captured; it does not affect the way they're turned into records
in a pcap file, or the way that they're displayed - in particular, it will not cause a single frame to be displayed as
multiple items in the packet list.