Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: digging something meaningful out of xmlrpc

From: David Young <dyoung () pobox com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 10:54:08 -0600

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 03:05:47PM +0200, Toni Ruottu wrote:
I am using Wireshark to analyse services that use XML-RPC calls to
communicate. Currently the protocol gets dissected as XML which is
fine because it is XML. However the result has lots of bloat that
makes it hard for me to analyse the protocol built on top of XML-RPC.
Can I somehow write a dissector (?) that analyses only the interesting
parts of the protocol, and shows its results "on top" of the more
generix XML-RPC dissection, as an alternative way of interpreting the
same data. Note that being able to add detail into the atomic parts of
dissected XML-RPC does not help, as it is the verboseness of XML-RPC
that gets in the way.

I mentored a Google Summer of Code student in 2009 who
produced stream-oriented XML filter/transform tools,
<http://netbsd-soc.sourceforge.net/projects/xmltools/>.  Maybe the tools
or the corresponding C library will help.

Dave

--
dyoung () ojctech com      Urbana, IL * (217) 344-0444 x24