Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: MacOSX installation and /dev/bpf permissions

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 12:29:10 -0800

On Feb 12, 2011, at 7:43 AM, Ed Young wrote:

What I'm not sure about is the best way to adjust the permissions. I can't find any folder named ChmodBPF on the
computer. Maybe because I ejected the installation image.

Yes.  Drag-install works well for a lot of applications, but that doesn't mean it can magically work well for *all*
applications.  Drag-installing Wireshark to /Applications won't cause the ChmodBPF startup item on the installation
image to be dragged to /Library/StartupItems - and dragging that won't cause it to work, as it won't be owned by
root:wheel.