Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: How do I identify SSL secured FTP session?

From: Stephen Fisher <steve () stephen-fisher com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 23:55:13 -0700

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 03:43:34PM -0600, David Alanis wrote:

I forgot the most important part of your question. Once you have the
Wireshark capture and if you simply apply the view filter 'ftp' and
displays your entire connection. Then you know your FTP session is not
encrypted, hence ftp displays communication over port 21 and maybe 20?

I didn't see FTP listed under preferences > protocols.

The FTP dissector is hard-coded to handle two types of FTP traffic: FTP
commands on port 21 and FTPDATA on port 20.  You should be able to right
click on a packet and do "Decode as..." FTP also though.