Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: RFC: Add fallback path to get_datafile_dir

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 13:45:58 -0700

On Aug 29, 2011, at 11:48 AM, Joerg Mayer wrote:

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:38:55AM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
as the problem recently popped up how to load auxillary files in the source
directory that have not been installed to their final paths, I've created a
patch that will add a fallback directory path to get_datafile_dir.
So far get_datafile_dir would check wether some magic variable were set to
locate generated (i.e. compiled) stuff inside the build dir instead of the
install dir. This patch allows to override this behaviour to search in the
specified directory relative to the source dir.

So this is for the case where the build directory isn't the source directory, and you want to run Wireshark from the
build directory?

Correct. I think I haven't built Wireshark in tree for a few years.

It appears the patch is trying to resolve two separate issues:

        1) running from the build directory when the build directory isn't the source directory;

        2) dealing with the source directory not being laid out the way the installation directory is laid out.

The first of those needs to be done *regardless* of whether there needs to be an extra directory inserted in the path
if you're fetching data from the source directory; it's best done in init_progfile_dir() (and, on UN*X, *not* done if
running with special privileges).

The second of those needs to be done *regardless* of whether the build and source directories are the same; it should
probably be done similarly to how it's done for the plugin and Python directories.