Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Feature Request - Comments attached to a packet

From: Tyson Key <tyson.key () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 19:26:50 +0100

Right. Feel free to disregard my previous e-mail, then. :)

Sorry for the inconvenience/false hope,

Tyson.

On 11 August 2011 19:24, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Aug 11, 2011, at 11:16 AM, Tyson Key wrote:

Whilst no-one's looking into implementing support for attaching comments
to packets (as far as I'm aware); someone recently wrote a patch to enable
reading comments from pcap-ng/NTAR files, and attached it to bug #6229.

Actually, that bug sounds more like "if a packet has a comment attached to
it, Wireshark won't even read the packet data correctly"; the fix doesn't
cause Wireshark to process the comment, it just causes it not to screw up if
a packet *has* a comment.  I.e., we need to fix this before we even consider
allowing comments to be added to packets, and should backport the fix to the
1.6 and 1.4 branches (that might still leave older versions of Wireshark
incapable of reading pcap-ng files with comments attached to them).

--
                                          Fight Internet Censorship!
http://www.eff.org