Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: localhost versus url

From: Hansang Bae <for_list_hbae () nyc rr com>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 21:20:39 -0400

On 3/10/2011 1:12 PM, Tony Anecito wrote:
Hi Jaap,

Many thanks that makes sense. I do have a router with a set of static ips
provided by my isp and one of the ips is registered with godaddy and is tied to
my own domain name and that was what I was using prior to using localhost. I did
notice on wireshark when using my domain I would see what you described.

I wonder what layers of the OSI 7 layer model is bypassed? I would think the
first three (1-3) would be bypassed?

OSI is completely dead. Any school that still teaches OSI should be shot! Others already gave you the answer, but for the rest of the Listserv members, one thing to watch out for is IPv6 resolutions. Some flavors of Unix now default to IPv6 resolution first. So you end up wasting time by doing AAAA lookups instead of A records.

Just something to look out for when troubleshooting issues.