Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: tshark stops after a few seconds

From: Stephen Fisher <steve () stephen-fisher com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 11:20:24 -0700

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 06:18:08PM +0000, Jeff Liegel wrote:

If "sniff free or die" is the question, then TShark 1.2.2 has chosen
die on my Solaris 10 x86 box.

Can you try the latest Tshark (1.4.1) to make sure the problem still
occurs.

Trying a simple tshark but it stops after a few seconds unexpectedly.
There are no error messages, unless I need to look in a file
somewhere, I am just trying to use the standard output.  Here is an
entire attempt:

[root@mani ~]# tshark port 5060
Running as user "root" and group "other". This could be dangerous.
Capturing on bge0
  0.000000  24.6.20.225 -> 207.200.7.50 SIP Request: INFO sip:8991083755@
  0.009236 204.191.134.197 -> 207.200.7.50 SIP Request: INFO sip:8992062906@

185 packets captured
[root@mani ~]

That looks like a normal exit.  Is it always after 185 (or close)
packets?