Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Mac Address -> human friendly string

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 14:24:19 +0200

Hi,

That's where the ethers file comes in, see the User's Guide [1]
7.7.2

Thanks,
Jaap

On Tue, 11 May 2010 11:25:36 +0100, "Panagiotis
Georgopoulos"  wrote:

Hello all,

What I am willing basically, is to
be able to see a human friendly string in the source and destination files
in my Wireshark captures so that I can debug easier what I see.

checked that I can enforce Wireshark to do a mac/ip layer resolution,
however I don't want it to try and do arp or dns request (and see the
relevant packets in my log) and also because these requests won't help (I
don't have a dns server and although IPs are a bit more readable they are
not what I want).

Is there a way to statically direct Wireshark to
change e.g. Netgear_2d:00:85 to "server" and Netgear_2c:ae:45 to "client"
etc? Some settings somewhere or apply an appropriate filter ?

Thanks a
lot in advance,

Panos

Ps. I am working in linux, so I was thinking
whether there is a local file that linux checks before an arp request so
that I can set the info I want thereā€¦?

Links:
------
[1]
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsug_html_chunked/ChAdvNameResolutionSection.html#id4925837