Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Memory question

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:49:04 -0700

On Mar 25, 2010, at 8:18 AM, János Löbb wrote:

I thought that when I dedicate a file for the capture, the program
will not run out of memory, but rather from time to time writes the
captured data to this file.

dumpcap (the program that actually does the capturing) writes packets to the capture file as soon as they are captured;
that's done through buffered I/O routines, so a small amount of packet data is buffered in memory so that larger writes
can be done to the file, but that buffer is a fixed size (the size depends on the OS on which you're running).

Looks to me that Wireshark wants to read all the content
into real memory

No, it doesn't; the raw capture data is kept in a file.  See the OutOfMemory page Bill Meier mentioned in his mail for
where Wireshark/TShark use memory.  I suspect a significant amount of memory is used to do packet reassembly; if we can
make random access to files, including compressed files, efficient, we might be able to store less of the reassembled
data permanently.