Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Packet Size limited during capture message

From: Brian Oleksa <oleksab () darkcornersoftware com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:59:36 -0400

Guy / Bill / Chris / Jakub / Mike

So I did some more troubleshooting only to find the following:
The dissector crashes in WinXP but not on my Fedora Core 9 box. This is weird.

Using editcap... I was able to find the frame on windows to which wireshark crashed on (which was frame 17641). I opened the same .pcap file on my FC-9 box (it did not crash)...but I went to frame 17641 only to find out that it is a Malformed Packet.

How I determine if it is a Helen packet or not....is that all helen packets start with 0xbead which is the "magic number". I have never had this problem before as I found thousands of Helen packets this way. But this malformed packet has a magic number of 0x293e .... which then through the rest of the packet info off and crashed wireshark (on Windows).

Any thoughts..??

Do I need to make sure that the hf_helen_magic is equal to 0xBEAD.....and if not I discard this packet..??

Why did it find this packet and assume that it was a Helen Packet..?? Was it because 0x293e is equal to 0xBEAD in length so it just assumed it was a helen packet..??

Attached is the code.

Thanks for your help,
Brian