Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Capture start time

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:11:50 -0700

On Mar 23, 2010, at 10:30 AM, specop () gmx ch wrote:

As far as I understood it, Wireshark sets the capture start time to the moment the first packet arrives, right? So if
I start the capture at time t and the first packet arrives at t+5s, the capture's start time will be initialized at
t+5 (time 0.000s). Correct?

I'm not sure Wireshark reports any notion of a capture start time.  If you display packet time stamps as "seconds since
first packet", then, obviously, the first packet will have a time stamp of 0 seconds.

Is there a way to determine the real capture start time (not the arrival of the first packet)? E.g. from a pcap file.

It's definitely *not* possible with a pcap file, as a pcap file doesn't store the time a capture started - it only
stores the time stamps of packets in the file.