Wireshark mailing list archives

"packets dropped by kernel"

From: sudhakar govindavajhala <sudhakarg79spam () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 20:32:57 -0400

Hi all,

I apologize for asking a tcpdump question; just did not know where to find
competent people to answer my question.

Can someone explain to me what this error message means:

375250 packets captured
375321 packets received by filter
69 packets dropped by kernel

Why do packets get dropped by kernel?  Is there a performance counter I can
monitor to help me understand that the kernel is under stress?  Also, why
were packets received by kernel, but not received by filter?  There should
not be that much traffic on this link that the kernel is under load.

thanks,
--Sudhakar