Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: I can't sniff my LAN

From: Kok-Yong Tan <ktan () realityartisans com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:28:34 -0400

On Jul 28, 2010, at 15:42, Guy Harris wrote:

On Jul 28, 2010, at 12:18 PM, Darkk Nights wrote:

I think that's a hub with switch capabilities.

"Obedece a operação Full Duplex e Flow Control do padrão IEEE 802.3x."

I don't think hubs can *do* full duplex Ethernet.

For all I know, that sentence in Portuguese means "Seems to operate
in Full Duplex..." which would be a totally different kettle of fish
(as in "whaddya mean by 'seems'"...???)  :-)

(No, I don't read Portuguese, but it's not too hard to infer what
some technical specifications in a document in a Romance language
says if your native language is a Teutonic language that got a huge
injection of French about a thousand years ago from a bunch of
Norsemen who'd ended up in France. :-))

Sometimes, the nuances can bite one in the ass, as you mention in a
later note on "false cognates."  Unless one is fluent in the language
or at least *VERY* knowledgeable about what are false cognates and
what aren't between that language and English, trying to interpret is
really asking for it in a technical discussion where precision is
everything and the Devil's in the details.  So I don't even try to go
there...
--
Reality Artisans, Inc.             #   Network Wrangling and Delousing
P.O. Box 565, Gracie Station       #   Apple Certified Consultant