Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: how to handle big files in wireshark

From: Hansang Bae <for_list_hbae () nyc rr com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 23:28:17 -0400

On 7/9/2010 3:46 PM, Maverick wrote:
Dear All,

I have huge pcap files in Gbs which I want to analyze using wireshark
but wireshark is extremely slow and crashes while opening those files.
I tried breaking those files into smaller files but thats not very
good solution as I have to open up each file and sometime relationship
between files gets lost.

Is there a decent way to handle huge files in wireshark .

Mak,
If you're dealing with multi gigabit size files, you should really check
out Cace's Pilot.  It works in conjunction with Wireshark and it will
quickly help you zoom in to a potential problem area.  It will open
gigabyte files in 10-20 seconds...

hsb