Wireshark mailing list archives

Question Regarding Suspected TCP Expert Problem

From: "Fischer, Sean" <Sean.Fischer () acs-inc com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 11:40:13 -0600

I have a number of captures within which the Wireshark expert indicates
hundreds of TCP Previous Segment Lost and TCP ACKed Lost Segment
warnings.  This is reflected both within the decode window on the packet
Info as well as in the Expert Info dialog boxes.  A cursory review of
the TCP data seems to confirm that the sequence numbers are correct.

I have found that going into preferences and toggling (both on-to-off
and off-to-on) Relative Sequence Number and Window Scaling removes the
expert info warnings.  Reopening the file recreates the warnings until
toggling again.

I also found that saving an affected TCP stream out of the capture into
its own cap file will cause Wireshark not to issue the warnings.

The capture does include the initial three way handshake of the TCP
stream in question.  I have no reason to think any packets are not being
captured, and the capture is being taken on a dedicated sniffer box with
dedicated sniffing NICs on a mirrored switchport.  The complete capture
is around 8MB.  I am using Wireshark 1.2.5 (SVN Rev 31296).

Are there any bugs related to this?  Any other helpful suggestions?

Thanks,

Sean