Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: General "Noob" Questions

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 16:19:28 +0100

Hi Shawn,

Just keep on reading. Use any editor you like (VS if you wish), but use
the build instructions as described in the Developer's Guide.

Thanks,
Jaap

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 17:20:41 -0500, Shawn Mayer <mayer_sr () wvwc edu> wrote:
Hello,
I am currently endeavoring to modify/create a Wireshark dissector. I am
going to develop on Windows. I have followed the instructions at
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupWin32.html
successfully. My questions are: where do I go from here? I have
programming experience with Java and vb.net, using BlueJ and Visual
Studio respectively. It's the jump of getting the Wireshark code into an

editable form that I am stuck at. What development software would you
recommend if not Visual Studio, or how do I open/import it into Visual
Studio? I apologize for these stupid questions, and the ones I will
undoubtedly ask when I actually start coding.

Shawn