Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Ubuntu dissector plugin tutorial

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter () xs4all nl>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:05:35 +0100

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:48:58 +0100, "Manthos S." <s.manthos () gmail com>
wrote:
Thanks for your answers!

in addition to the doc/README.Plugin  file, you can also have a look at
http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development.
If you have never build anything on Linux, this could help a bit.

I already checked the files you suggested but i still want to clarify
something.
I have built wireshark from source in my developing machine (ubuntu)
using:

<obtained the sources with SVN>
apt-get build-dep wireshark
 ./autogen.sh
 ./configure --prefix=/home/user/FROGS/wireshark

 make
 make install
/home/user/FROGS/wireshark
....and runs smoothly

If you already have the dissector code, than you basically have to
alter
the various makefiles which are listed in doc/README.Plugin and rebuild
wireshark.
After a complete and successful build, it is sufficient to call make in
your plugin directory to update the plugin.

I copied the folder with my plugin files (AUTHORS, ChangeLog, COPYING,
Makefile.am, Makefile.common, Makefile.nmake, moduleinfo.h,
moduleinfo.nmake, packet-xxx.c, plugin.rc.in) in:
/home/user/DEV/wireshark/plugins
....and made all changes in the files according doc/README.plugin.

My question is: Do i MUST build wireshark AGAIN and why??

If you read doc/README.plugins carefully, you'll see that there are
changes involved in the top level project files. Therefore you'll need to
do 'make' once more. Like was said: "*After* a complete and successful
build, it is sufficient to call make in your plugin directory to update the
plugin."

Isn't it right to build just the plugin (.so & .la files) and then
copy xxx.la & xxx.so into:
/home/user/FROGS/wireshark/lib/wireshark/plugins/1.2.5
(like in windows?), so when i next time launch wireshark, my plugin
dissector will be registered???

We're talking about the build here (make), not about deployment (make
install).
Indeed once things are done, you can copy the resulting files to be picked
up by your installation.

Additional question: I want to use my plugin in a different linux
machine runing wireshark. Do i have to make a build there also??...or
it is sufficient to copy the .so & .la files in the plugins directory
and relaunch??

No need to build there.

Sorry I'm bothering you with silly linux-questions but i think your
answers will be appreciated from many linux newbies having the same
problems.

Cheers
Spanos