Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Compile with PIE

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 00:20:37 +0100

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 07:38:31PM +0100, Balint Reczey wrote:
Can we build Wireshark and friends as Position-independent executables (PIE)?
The attached patch seems to do this.  Any objections against this patch?

Go ahead, but please see comments below.

I've no experience with Position-independent executables; A quick search
does suggest that there's a performance hit (every time the program is
loaded into memory ??).
[...]
Recent Debian and Ubuntu packages are already built with PIE and other
security related hardening options:
http://wiki.debian.org/Hardening
http://packages.qa.debian.org/w/wireshark/news/20091006T201929Z.html

I haven't tested the speed impacts, but the packaged binaries don't seem
to be noticeably slower than the svn builds.

If you are running wireshark with dynamic libraries, then all the libs are
already compiled with -fPIE anyway - and they do all the work. I wouldn't
expect there to be any measurable performance difference whatsoever.

But while you are at it, please follow that Debian harding link and have a
look at the additional  hardening methods too (that's what you get for having
a good idea *and* mentioning it ;->

 ciao
      Joerg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>