Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: How to determine if Wireshark is x86 or x64

From: Gerald Combs <gerald () wireshark org>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:25:09 -0800

You should be able to do something like the following:

  - Find out where Wireshark is installed via
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
      App Paths\wireshark.exe

  - Run GetBinaryType on the result.

Note that "App Paths" is one of the registry keys affected by WOW64
redirection so different versions of Windows might add a thoroughly fun
and enjoyable technical challenge to this.

HPfrommer () hilscher com wrote:
Hi,

I've developed a custom dissector which shall be installed to
"...\application data\wireshark\plugin" automatically during
installation of our product on Windows (Wireshark itself is not included
in this installer).
See http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/200810/msg00208.html

I've built two plugin DLLs, one for x86 and another for x64, how can the
installer determine if the installed Wireshark is x86 or x64 in order to
select the correct DLL?

Regards,
Holger

Hilscher Gesellschaft für Systemautomation mbH
Rheinstr. 15, 65795 Hattersheim
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hattersheim
Geschäftsführer: Hans-Jürgen Hilscher
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Frankfurt/Main
Handelsregister: Frankfurt B 26873
www.hilscher.com <http://www.hilscher.com>