Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Wireshark and Google Summer of Code 2010

From: Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames () darkjames ath cx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 11:05:10 +0100

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 06:29:14PM -0800, Guy Harris wrote:

On Feb 25, 2010, at 5:46 AM, Jakub Zawadzki wrote:

I'd like to make ncurses frontend for wireshark

Unless it depends on features in ncurses not in System V curses, it should probably be called "cshark" - there might
still be some UN*Xes that use System V curses rather than ncurses.  (I don't know whether any non-ancient UN*Xes
provide only the original BSD curses, but BSD curses has a lot less functionality than SV curses, so it's probably
not a useful target; SV curses is probably the minimum target for which you'd want to develop.)

Fast searching for differences in API between ncurses and curses,
I found that curses lack mouse support (man 3 curs_mouse).
Btw. nshark sounds better :)

Wireshark for big captures is sometimes slow, it eats lot of memory,
and because of gui - it's not easy to use it remotely.

If the version you're running remotely is X11-based (which currently means "not Windows"), it can be done, although
you'd have to set DISPLAY, set your X server up to accept connections from it, etc..

Right, X11 have server/client architecture, but I think people tend to use ssh X11 forwarding,
but still it's not so great...

  It'd be also possible to fast check how wireshark dissector will behave
  if you change this byte to another value... :)

...and that might be useful in combination with the packet injection feature.

... and wireshark won't be longer passive sniffer (I don't know how you feel about it...),
and I think dumpcap should not inject packets. Someone should write injectcap (?)