Wireshark mailing list archives

No interfaces listed to capture packets

From: David Baird <xdab () uchicago edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 16:53:25 -0600

I just installed the MacOSX version of Wireshark downloaded from
www.wireshark.org/download.html.

I have a brand new MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard (10.6.2). The
downloaded item was OS X 10.5(Leopard) Intel.dmg.

I followed the instructions regarding the installation of the
application and the various scripts. But when I start Wireshark it does
not list any interfaces (eth0, eth1, etc) to select.

Also when starting the machine, it complains about the items in
/Library/StartupItems:

"/Library/StartupItems/ChmodBPF" has not been started because it does
not have the proper security settings.

Any ideas, or does the application need to be tweaked for Snow Leopard?

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to report this.

Thanks,

David Baird
University of Chicago