Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Installing wireshark on a PC without administrative privileges (windows XP))

From: kenny sigafoose <sigafoose () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 18:21:18 -0500

Try CACE's Network Toolkit, it has a nice bootable version that could
help and some other nice tools.

Has been great for my lack of admin priv and it comes in a portable
usb version as well.

On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Marc Luethi <netztier () bluewin ch> wrote:
On Sat, 2010-02-13 at 22:11 +0200, Mark Ryden wrote:
I though of installing wireshark on disk on key,

That won't help. WinPcap needs to hook into the Operating System's
network stack, and to do that, you need admin priviledges.

You'll need a priviledged user to install WinPcap and if you want, it's
service that will allow unprivileged users to capture traffic.

but again when installing winpcap it gives me a privilege error.

q.e.d.

You _can_ run Wireshark as unpriviledged user and without the WinPcap
service, but you're limited to analysis of capture files that are
obtained by other means (e.g. from running tcpdump on another system).
WinPcap is only needed if you want to capture packets on the system you
are using.

regards

Marc