Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: capturing USB data

From: Thomas Epperson <thomas.epperson () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 14:07:47 -0500

Ah ok I see now. Running this command
sudo chmod o=rw /dev/usbmon*
allowed normal wireshark to capture usb packets (although sometimes it only
reads a portion of packets - I'm not sure what normal would be for this)

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 1:21 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Aug 30, 2010, at 10:42 AM, Thomas Epperson wrote:

Ok I changed libpcap to point to /dev/null.

Actually, just undoing your previous change would be sufficient; "change it
to /dev/null" was meant to indicate that no change was necessary - as per my
mail, /proc/bus/usb isn't necessary with newer libpcaps such as 1.1.x.

I can get wireshark to list usbmon interfaces and capture data, but ONLY
if I run it as root. Is there a way to eliminate the depency of running as
root?

What does "ls -l /dev/usbmon*" print?

I did these steps to allow sniffing "regular (not usb)" traffic as
non-root

Setting network privileges for dumpcap
http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/CapturePrivileges

Presumably those were the "Linux" steps.  Those steps are, as per "regular
(not usb)", specific to capturing on regular networking devices; capturing
USB traffic needs a different mechanism, requiring that the program be able
to open the /dev/usbmon* devices.  Did you do the "Setting network
privileges for dumpcap" steps or the "Limiting capture permission to only
one group" steps?  If the former, you'll probably need to make the
/dev/usbmon* devices publicly readable; if the latter, you'll only need to
make them readable by the group in question.  (At least on my Ubuntu 9 VM,
/sys/bus/usb/devices is publicly readable; if that's the case on your
machine, no changes should be necessary to get Wireshark to list usbmon
interfaces, although you'd need to make the usbmon devices accessible to
dumpcap in order to get Wireshark to capture on them.)

--
Thomas Epperson
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and