Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Capturing https traffic

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:12:46 -0700

On Aug 27, 2010, at 1:02 PM, Arya wrote:

Hello

I have Wireshark 64 bit installed on Windows 7 and I'm unable to capture https traffic with it.

What happens if you try to capture https traffic - for example, if you capture with a capture filter of "tcp port 443"?
 Do you see no packets (which means it's not *capturing* https traffic), or do you see packets that Wireshark doesn't
dissect as https traffic (which means that it might be *capturing* it, it just might not be *recognizing* it as https
traffic)?  It will only recognize https traffic if it's to or from one of the ports specified in the "SSL/TLS Ports"
preference for the HTTP dissector; the default setting for that is 443, so only traffic to or from port 443 will be
recognized as https traffic.