Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: match packets at sender and receiver

From: Andrej van der Zee <andrejvanderzee () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 16:08:23 +0900

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

It partially depends upon the nature of the traffic. Simple cases
wherein the data is encapsulated via tcp AND ip allow you to infer which
interface sent the traffic and additionally allow you to infer
temporality-tracking differences between hosts by matching up timestamps
and sequence numbers. Other packet-formatting combinations may provide
fewer data-points for you to utilize while engaging in the measurement
exercises you indicated interest in.  I'd be interested to hear if
anyone's successfully made use of protocol-independent techniques.

Mostly I am concerned with TCP but a protocol-independent technique is
definitely preferred! Anybody?

Thank you,
Andrej