Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: New MAC user, No Capture Interfaces

From: Phil Paradis <Phil.Paradis () unitedtote com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 02:26:50 -0700

NPF (part of WinPCAP) must be installed and configured to start automatically at boot. Only an Administrator can
install/configure this, but once it is installed and properly configured, any user on the system should be able to
capture traffic.

For the original question regarding capture on a Mac:

* By default only root can capture on a Mac. Even if your user account is set up with admin privileges, it won't work
unless you change the permissions.
* If you change the permissions on /dev/bpf* as suggested below, the change only lasts until reboot with newer versions
of OS X.
* If you want to make the change persistent between reboots, install the ChmodBPF Startup Item that comes on the
Wireshark DMG. (It's in the Utilities folder.) By default this will only allow Administrator users to capture, but you
can edit the script before you install it (see the instructions) to allow anyone to capture.