Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: [Wireshark-commits] rev 30579: /trunk/epan/ /trunk/epan/: emem.c

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer () loplof de>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 20:37:25 +0200

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:12:20AM -0400, Jeff Morriss wrote:
Joerg Mayer wrote:
On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 09:36:45PM +0000, morriss () wireshark org wrote:
 Introduce an optional (ep_ and se_) memory scrubber.  When activated (export
 WIRESHARK_DEBUG_SCRUB_MEMORY to turn it on) this function initializes all
 allocated memory to 0xBADDCAFE and all freed memory to 0xDEADBEEF.  (Of course
 the allocation functions like ep_alloc0() re-initialize the allocated memory
 back to 0.)

There seems to be an increasing nunmber of variables that ssem to be lacking
documentation. How about adding them to the manpage(s)?

These environment variables are targeted mainly at developers looking
at/debugging memory issues.  Do they really belong in the
(user-oriented) man pages?

I don't like undocumented command line options - and the environment vars
are something very similar. So in my opinion: Yes :-)

Ciao
  Joerg

--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer () loplof de>