Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: measuring a latency across the network

From: "Tech Expert" <nobord () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 23:44:22 +0200

For those of you out there who still intersted with some nice article and utility to test latency online, please visit
here:
http://sysudi.blogspot.com/2009/05/etherstress.html

It's a freeware (registartion by E-mail, no payment)

"Korn Vajanapoom" <k_vajanapoom () hotmail com> wrote in message news:BAY133-F380C03BF13F247A284C1E5F5370 () phx gbl...
I run two instances of wiresharks at two end nodes to measure a packet
latency across the network. So, I have two log files, one with time stamps
at the transmitting end, and the other one with time stamps at the receiving
end. The latency for each packet is simply a time difference between two
ends.

1) Is there any tool to calculate this latency for me?

2) In case of packet loss (therefore the number of entries in both log files
are not equal), is there any tool that can automatically match the log file
entries - two entries that are associated with the same packet (e.g., maybe
matching by the packet content) and then calculate the latency.

Please let me know.
thank you.