Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: Yum install centos 5.2

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 12:54:51 -0700

On Oct 11, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Mike Brandonisio wrote:

I'm running a cpanel server on centos 5.2. It keeps getting listed
on CBL. CBL say wireshark can help me see what is going on with a
specific IP address and when it is impersonating an other domain.

I have installed via ssh: yum install wireshark

That succeeded create the directory /usr/share/wireshark

root@example [/usr/share/wireshark]# wireshark -h
-bash: wireshark: command not found

Any idea on what I'm missing?

An item in root's $PATH that refers to the directory in which
Wireshark was installed?

See whether it's installed in /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, or some X11 or
GNOME binary directory.

Should I remove the YUM install and compile my own?

You could, but that's harder and more likely to have problems.

When I look in the directory /usr/share/wireshark I see some HTML
files. Is this supposed to be a web based interface?

No.  /usr/share isn't where binaries are put - it's for stuff that can
be shared between machines with different instruction sets ("/usr/
share" was a Sun invention, for use with diskless workstations of 3
different instruction sets, namely 68K, x86, and SPARC).  HTML files
are text, and instruction-set-independent; those are HTML versions of
man pages and some templates used for various features such as mapping
of IP addresses to locations.