Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: IP BW computation in RTP stream analysis

From: Martin Visser <martinvisser99 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 22:52:17 +1100

Without reading the source code, it looks to me to be pretty much a sum of
the size (in kilobits) of the previous 1 seconds worth of RTP packets in
that direction on that stream. (I *think* it is just the IP size (header +
payload) but not the layer 2 frame. So effective it shows a moving average
bit rate over a one second window. You can tell it is done this way as see
the IP BW "ramp up" at the beginning of each session. (Of course you should
 read the code to confirm this exactly).

Regards, Martin

MartinVisser99 () gmail com