Wireshark mailing list archives

Re: TCP sequence number

From: Ian Schorr <ian.schorr () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 16:44:26 +1100

Rayne, this is a feature called "Relative sequence numbers", intended to
make reading and comparing TCP sequence numbers a little easier.  To turn
this feature off, uncheck Preferences->Protocols->TCP->Relative sequence
numbers and window scaling.

In many cases (most of the time for me), you don't really care what the REAL
sequence number is.  You just need to know how how the value of the sequence
number in one packet relates to another.