WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Whitepaper: SMTP Injection via recipient email addresses

From: Amit Klein <aksecurity () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 07:34:39 +0200

Well done, Takeshi. And very nice research, BTW.

Best,
-Amit

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 5:13 AM, Takeshi Terada <mbsdtest01 () gmail com> wrote:
Dear Amit Klein and all,

Thanks for letting me know previous researches.
I was not aware of Insomnia's paper mentioning injection to RCPT.
I added the links to the works you mentioned to the paper.
Revised version is available at the same URL:
http://www.mbsd.jp/Whitepaper/smtpi.pdf
I really appreciate your feedback.

Regards,
Takeshi Terada

Dear Takeshi Terada

Thanks for sharing your paper. I'd like to draw your attention to the
following:

Injection into RCPT is mentioned in
https://www.insomniasec.com/downloads/publications/Common_Application_Flaws.ppt
(see slides 15-16) released November 2008 (see
https://www.insomniasec.com/releases).

The general concept of injecting into SMTP commands (in this case, into the
DATA command, terminating the DATA command and escaping into SMTP scope
using a single-dot line, and composing a second, new message using
additional SMTP commands) is discussed e.g. here:
http://www.webappsec.org/projects/articles/121106.pdf (see section 3.2),
released November 2006.

Best,
-Amit

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 10:20 AM, Takeshi Terada <mbsdtest01 () gmail com>