WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Social Security Number in Hidden field

From: snipe <snipe () snipe net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 18:38:15 -0500

I can’t think of a single legitimate reason why SS# should be in a hidden field.

As to whether it’s a security risk, that depends on whether the intranet app is accessible from the outside world,
whether it runs over SSL, etc. Does the hidden field only show up for admins? Given what seems like it might be lazy
coding, I could imagine a scenario where if you’re not an admin, the hidden field doesn’t necessarily show up, but if
you manually submit a SS# (via browser source editing or CSRF), it might not check for admin status before changing
data on the backend.

--

</snipe>
snipe () snipe net

snipe.net | snipeitapp.com | crankyhaiku.com | socialmediadouchebag.net | tumblr.snipe.net | downworthy.snipe.net

"If we wish to count lines of code, we should not regard them as 'lines produced' but as 'lines spent.'"– Edsger
Dijkstra