WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Secure iFrames

From: David Ford <david () blue-labs org>
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 09:54:19 -0500

Use CSP, X-Frame-Options, Strict-Transport-Security, X-XSS-Protection,
CORS HTTP headers -- and _everything_ over HTTPS. Those are a great start.

-d

On 11/03/2014 08:02 AM, NightShade wrote:
Was hoping to get some feedback on what everyone feels are best
practices around securing iFrames.  I've seen a lot of payment
platforms moving in this direction (ie. Gumroad, Stripe, Memberful)
yet with little documentation around "here is the best way to secure
the iFrame our JavaScript generates".

The best documentation I've seen so far recommends an HTTPS webpage
with the each link pointing to an HTTPS link as well.  This way when
you click the link to load a modal / JS for the payment solution it is
"supposedly" done over HTTPS even though the browser won't present a
padlock (assuming the hosting page is HTTP).  The other example I've
seen is a simple HTTP page that contains an HTTP link which in turns
opens a secure iFrame....which is probably not a good idea since you
are mixing secure and non-secure content.

Thoughts?

This list is sponsored by Cenzic
Let Us Hack You. Before Hackers Do!
It's Finally Here - The Cenzic Website HealthCheck. FREE.
Request Yours Now! http://www.cenzic.com/2009HClaunch_Securityfocus