WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Password Blacklist

From: Andrew van der Stock <vanderaj () greebo net>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:11:54 +1000

Reed,

There are many password lists out there, such as the Rock You, Top
10000, the basic JTR one (which is actually very good for its small
size), but this is the wrong approach.

Almost all passwords chosen by users that are in the Top 10,000 are <
8 characters in length. These correlate strongly with every other
account they have open as keeping multiple passwords is too difficult
for many users.

It's time to push password length right out to > 16 characters to
force the use of pass phrases. This eliminates all known password
lists, and is a safer alternative.

In time, there will be bad passphrase lists, containing well known
phrases like "To be, or not to be, that is the question:" but for now,
I haven't seen such a list. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I
reckon creating a rainbow table derived from a quotes dictionary would
be invaluable for those of us using such things to break passphrased
hashes.

Passwords were insecure more than 30 years ago (see the 1979 Morris
paper to prove my point back when PDP 11/70's were considered fast
instead of less capable than the average $2 store digital watch), but
we're stuck with them.

Let's not move the "worst passwords" to another set of "worst
passwords". Let's make it "worst passphrases" :)

thanks,
Andrew