WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: [WEB SECURITY] Help with referer issues in XSS

From: Stefano Di Paola <stefano.dipaola () wisec it>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 14:24:07 +0100

Also check for:

5. www.example.com.attacker.com/..  as the referrer

just in case the referrer checking regexp is broken.

Cheers
Stefano

Il giorno ven, 02/03/2012 alle 18.30 -0800, super evr ha scritto:
Here's a couple things to try that I've learned in my experience.

First you can find out more about how the application is checking the REFERER.
Find out if the application is only verifying parts of the REFERER or
the entire URL. Try taking parts of the REFERER out and see if the
request is still valid, for example:
1. www.example.com/profile.jsp [original]
2. www.example.com/arbitrary_page.jsp
3. [no referrer]
4. www.attacker.com/www.example.com/profile.jsp

If you find a redirector on the site, you can use [2].
If the request is allowed with no REFERER, the attack site can be
hosted on HTTPS since HTTPS->HTTP won't send the REFERER [3].
Create a new folder on the attack site with the URL of the victim site.

If the referrer checking is strict [1], then the attack might now be
as easy. Either way, vuln is still vuln.

Phil