WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: Directory Scanner

From: Alexander Pick <acpi () mac com>
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 10:11:06 +0100

Another idea is to proxy your download URLs through a script and hide the real files outside the web root.

If you do it in PHP it's pretty simple (header + read file + bit security). Just make sure to make the script secure in
terms of directory transversal etc., many people hide their downloads for security and create even bigger holes with
bad scripts.
You can also add all sort of attack detection to it, like recording the hit count of an IP to it and auto locking the
downloads after a certain amount.

Hope this helps.

greets,
Alex

A question:

Given a website URL like the below :

http://www.companywebsite.com/resources/resources/whitepapers/document_1_wp.pdf
http://www.companywebsite.com/resources/resources/whitepapers/document_arbinatryname__wp.pdf

How can I protect somebody from enumerating the list of file on this
"whitepapers" directory ?  What tool can I use to make sure that I am
adequately protected against this ?
Cheers

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works,
how it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test,
purchase, install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for
set-up are highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital
certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1