WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Should or shouldn't block public ping to a website

From: ShiYih Lye <shiyih.lye () my offgamers com>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 14:03:57 +0800

Hi,

All this while I'm not allowing any public ping to the website I'm
maintaining, but it's making me tougher to troubleshoot should any
user from the globe having trouble to access our website, as I can't
make them to send a proper traceroute report.

To your opinion, is it necessary to block public ping to a public
website ? Is this security practice still relevant in today exploit
technology ?

And if you think it's still necessary, how do I make sure my user's
traceroute still work when all ICMP is dropped from public ?

Thanks for any input, appreciated that.

Regards,
Lye

This list is sponsored by Cenzic
Let Us Hack You. Before Hackers Do!
It's Finally Here - The Cenzic Website HealthCheck. FREE.
Request Yours Now!
http://www.cenzic.com/2009HClaunch_Securityfocus