WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: securing a deliberately vulnerable web app

From: Vedantam Sekhar <vedantamsekhar () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 19:05:48 +0530

One method is to restrict the "Outbound" connections "orginating" from
the server at Firewall that does the statefull inspection.In this way,
i think though attacker/user compromise the OS , he would not be able
to attack other external networks as outbound TCP connections from
that server is not allowed.
And also, as you know very well what are the vulnerabilities you are
providing on your vulnerable application, you will have an idea to
what extent an attacker can go, therefore you can restrict/place
additional security controls.For example, if the vulnerable
application demonstrates an OS command injection, you may restrict the
users what are all the commands they can execute on the target OS.In
hackthissite.org, i know i can execute OS commands through SSI
injection, but i am restricted to specific OS commands only,. May be
you have to modify the kernal or something like that. You also may
have to run the Application with minimum previliges & Jailed
environment on the target webserver just in case. Be prompt in
Patching of all the technologies exposed at Internet is required so
that attacker do practice otherthan what you want to teach them :-)

This is just my idea on how they might be doing it :-)

Thanks,

Sekhar