WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: SQLi with backslash

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 15:51:54 +0100

On 24 June 2011 15:29, JD <jdruin () gmail com> wrote:
You count still try to insert a XSS and see if some other person is serverd
that XSS. Surely someone (maybe an admin or power user) can see those logs.
Also, whenever you can perform SQLi but you cannot actually see any visible
output, blind SQLi is a fallback position.

Yes but as I said, in the time I've got on the test it isn't really a
practical attack. I've already dropped plenty of XSS into the table so
some may trigger at some point.

In this case you have an insert statement rather than a select, so I think
using a blind sub-query might work. Since you cannot see any output, perhaps
you could use timing. The "sleep()" function in MySQL works well for this.
As one of the insert parameters, you could insert a "case" statement.

For example, lets say we wait to extract the user name that the web server
uses to log into the database.

We can try to get the 1st letter using timing like this. This select would
be one of your paramters into the insert. Hopefully this makes sense.

My syntax is probably horrible becasue I am guessing, but something like:

SELECT CASE WHEN substring(CURRENT_USER(), 1,1) = 'a' THEN sleep(5)
ELSE sleep(0) END;
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/control-flow-functions.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/information-functions.html#function_current-user

I agree with this but can't find a way to actually get it to run a
query with the SELECT in it. I can't escape the initial query to get
the injection to run.

Robin