WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Determine Salt used by MySQL in root'd server

From: Voulnet <voulnet () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 11:00:56 +0300

Hello folks, I'm doing a pentest on a server, and I got root access
through a Joomla web app, I got a dump of the jp_users table in MySQL,
however the passwords are obviously hashed and salted. I honestly
don't expect the passwords to be strong, so they can be bruteforced,
md5-looked up easily. However, how can I determine the salt value? I
already have root access on the server but I don't know where to look
in MySQL to find the salt value.

This list is sponsored by Cenzic
Let Us Hack You. Before Hackers Do!
It's Finally Here - The Cenzic Website HealthCheck. FREE.
Request Yours Now!
http://www.cenzic.com/2009HClaunch_Securityfocus