WebApp Sec mailing list archives

Re: CAPTCHA

From: Robin Wood <robin () digininja org>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:37:07 +0000

On 25 January 2011 07:22, Sacks, Cailan C
<Cailan.Sacks () standardbank co za> wrote:
Stupid idea. A spammer sees funky implementations of web forms every day, and they patch their bots accordingly.
There is no security in obfuscation, just buys you time until someone beats you over the head. Google captcha. They
do the work and you reap the benifit. Can't get easier.

Depends on your users. I know loads of people who turn off when they
see CAPTCHAs as they have trouble reading them and find them a pain to
try to decipher.

I know that this method isn't perfect but the way I see it is that if
a bot writer wants to modify their spider just to get it to work with
my site then they are going to be sending me spam anyway one way or
another as they have me as a specific target.

Traditional CAPTCHAs have also been cracked, I don't know about
Googles but I'd imagine that the bot writers will be putting more
effort into improving their systems to get around them than to worry
about hitting a few sites.

One last thing, why would you call this obfuscation? I see it as just
another way to implement a system.

Robin